Spicy Vodka Rigatoni
- Loaf of good bread
- Kosher salt for pasta water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Olive oil
- Half of a white onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 whole calabrian chilies, minced. Jarred ones also work.
- 8 oz/standard issue can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of vodka
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of pasta water
- A ton of parmesan cheese!
- Cook the pasta in heavily salted water.
- Melt down the butter and some olive oil in a pan.
- Add the onions to the butter mixture, with a pinch of salt. Stir until translucent.
- Add the garlic and chilis to the mixture. Cook for ~2 mins until the garlic is fragrant. Don't burn!
- Add the can of tomato paste and cook for ~7 mins until it starts to caramelize.
- Deglaze the pan with the vodka.
- Lower the heat and add the cream. Stir until it's a consistent, creamy, bright orange color.
- Add the pasta to the pan, and add ~1 cup of pasta water. Stir and simmer until the pasta water reduces.
- Make the garlic bread, toast, butter, scrap surface with half a garlic glove, add salt.
- Remove from heat and add a ton of paremsan.
- Serve immediately, with additional paremsan on top.