Fried Chicken Sammies
For the brine
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless thighs
- 1 cup pickle juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
For the dredge and frying
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 48 oz bottle canola oil, for frying
- Pepperoncini, and shredduce
For the sammies
- Shredduce (shredded iceberg lettuce)
- Potato rolls
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Splash of vinegar, such as rice wine or white distilled
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Thinly sliced onion
Fry the chicken
- In a large bowl, combine the pickle juice, buttermilk, hot sauce, and garlic. Season with salt to taste.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the brine mixture and cover as well as you can. Brine for at least 30 minutes, and up to 36 hours.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne in a large, high-sided bowl.
- Set a wire rack inside a sheet pan and place it to the side of your frying station.
- Set the oven to 300
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees.
- Scoop some of the brine into the flour mixture and stirring. Dredge the chicken. Remove the chicken from the brine one piece at a time, and coat it in the flour mixture, taking care to toss and really press the dredge onto the chicken so it adheres and forms craggly bits. Shake the excess dredge off and transfer to the wire rack.
- Working in batches and taking care not to overcrowd the pan, add the chicken to the oil and cook over medium-high heat for about 6-8 minutes, until they are deeply golden brown, flipping half-way through.
- Transfer to oven to keep warm as you work on the next batch.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup mayonnaise with a splash of white distilled or white wine vinegar, and season to taste with hot sauce.
- Toast your bun in a small skillet with a little butter over medium heat until golden brown.
- Assemble your sandwich by spooning a little of your special sauce onto the bottom bun, top with a piece of fried chicken, followed by onion, pepperonicini, shredduce, more hot sauce. Dollop another swoosh of the sauce on the top bun before topping the sandwich.
Inspired by Alison Roman and American Test Kitchen - 📝 Recipe, and 📺 YouTube Home Movie